Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Propitation - by Steve Fulton

Propitiation (PRO-PI-TI-A-TION.) To find peace with an offended party by offering restitution.  Seat of mercy.


1Jn 4:10  In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.


God gave Sue and me two male children.  The oldest took nearly a full day to work his way into the world.  The youngest rushed into the world in what seemed but a few minutes—tearing, breaking and stretching everything he passed on the way.


The oldest recognized his hopelessness without a Savior when he was only four years old.  The youngest struggled to give Jesus his rightful place into his late teens.


There were times when I had to apply the board of education (a wooden spoon) to the seat of knowledge (you know what I mean).  The oldest began to cry when I went for the spoon.  I did not need to discipline him very often.  For the youngest, the cost of punishment was less important than establishing his right to act any way he pleased (and we struggled often).


I can remember a time when the two brothers were fighting.  I asked them who started it.  Each said the other brother was responsible.  In my heart, I knew it was the younger; but, I paddled them both.  The older brother was hurt.  The younger brother was celebrating in the fact that he had not born the punishment alone.


That’s how it is with Jesus and me.  God is holy.  I am a sinner.  God demanded a payment for my sin that I could not pay.  When the time for my punishment came, God reached over and paddled Jesus.  I was free.


Wait!!  It is worse than that!!  I am no better than the lowliest creature in the universe.  Unlike me, snails, slugs, leeches, and mosquitoes are without sin.  I deserve to live in a land of mud, mire, darkness and ooze--A place where Scripture says there is only darkness, burning, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.


And Jesus!!  Jesus is neither mere man nor good brother.  He is the creator of all things on heaven and earth, natural and supernatural, invisible and seen, physical and spiritual.  And, he created them for his own pleasure and to glorify God the Father.  He is co-equal with God and the completion of His love.


His punishment was no mere spanking.  Scripture says no man was ever treated as badly as he was.  His body was so marred that he didn’t look human.  And, instead of looking on his death with kindness, God turned His back on Jesus.


So, remember, the next time you are discouraged, “The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.”  Believe it.  And rejoice. He is the propitiation for our sins.

No comments: