Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm an Optimist and I'm OK with that!

Pollyanna, Sunshine boy, happy-go-lucky....

These are some of the nicer things I've been called by people are less optimistic than I am. I would call them "pessimists"...but that's just not a very nice word for an "eternal optimist" to use.

I have to say their indictment of me is true. I'm definitely a "glass-half-full" type and more often than not I see the positive side of things. I'm not bragging but just being honest about how I look at life by default. For instance, this morning I was making blue-berry waffles for the kids...OK I had some too. My kids are beautiful! I was thinking, "There is NO better way to spend my morning! I'm so blessed!" But then I thought... "Hold on, Pollyanna. You need to quit being so optimistic." Why did I think that? Because I've heard it often from those name calling pessimists! I've been challenged more than once to "real" or to "get my head back in reality."

So here's my question for all you anti-Pollyannas...what's so wrong about being an optimist?!? What danger am I in for looking on the bright-side? What do you think will happen? Do you think that I'll be walking down the road someday and though I see the bus coming, think "It's a bright, sun-shiny day...that bus won't hit me..I'll just jump out in front of it!"??? Come on!

It's my habit do my daily quiet time with God during breakfast. As I was enjoying my blueberry waffle, I opened up my "Our Journey" booklet to today's page. I chuckled at the title... "God is God, Even When Life is Bad." Yes! A devotion on optimism! It was a great challenge from Daniel 1...and it was great reminder. It's OK to be an optimist! Having the view point that says "God is in control and He's good..so ENJOY life no matter what" is biblical a biblical way of looking at life.

Now, having said all that, this afternoon my optimism was put to the test. We have some folks in our church who are hurting and it's my privilege to minister to them in difficult times. One dear brother is with his mother who is very ill. As we spoke together I was shocked by his words. "Pastor," he said, "I want to be optimistic, but I just don't know if she's going to make it." Yeah...he even used the word..."optimistic." I love him and his family...and they needed something more than, "Look on the bright side, your glass is half-full." Sorry, but that doesn't cut it. Saying, "Be an optimist" would not only be trite, but hurtful! So I prayed one of the prayers I often utter, "God, please bring the right truth to mind." And did He ever! God brought back to my mind (He gets all the credit, mind you) a word that sums up biblical optimism to a tee...HOPE. Not a hope that is limited to our circumstances, but a hope that is founded on the goodness of God. It's not a "maybe" hope, but a certain hope that God is in control and He is good, even in those very tough moments of life. Hope that during the times when my glass is almost empty, I have God who is able to fill it to overflowing with His grace!

What a lesson. I needed the reminder today because I am called to share His truth. So I'll take the brunt of the verbal attack. I'll be Pollyanna, or Sunshine boy with gladness. I just have to stop talking to myself as I make blueberry waffles!

No comments: