Thursday, July 10, 2008

"How's your love life?" By Steve F.

Is it possible that you have been born again; but, that you do not love the Lord Jesus Christ?
Are there times in your life when you have been warm toward Him; but now find yourself to be cool?
Do you wish that you and He were closer?

I can remember a time in my Christian life when I wondered if I really loved Jesus Christ. I was hanging out with some radical Christians (those people whose fearless actions match their profession). Their commitment to Christ made me question my own.

Love begins with prayer. I began to fast and pray. I told Jesus that I did not love him near enough. (He already knew that.) I begged Him to teach me to love Him more. Here are some conclusions that can help you.
Love grows with reflection. (We love Him because He first loved us. 1John 4:19) To fully appreciate Jesus we need to see Him in the light of Scripture. This involves searching to see who He is. I suggest starting with Isaiah chapters 52-58, continuing with Luke, and finishing with 1John. If you are earnest, you can read all of this in one week. You will also need to set aside time to “see yourself exactly as you are”. Prayer helps here, too.
Love deepens with conversation. Your life with Christ, just like a marriage, will not go any farther unless you spend time together. Get in the habit of turning off noise-making devices so that you can have a real conversation with Jesus. You will be surprised at how many thoughts and actions you can take captive for Christ. God created you so that you could have fellowship with Him.
Love leads to obedience. (If you love me you will keep my commandments. 1John 14:15). Obedience is the natural outpouring of a love for Christ. That kind of love asks, “Would this please Christ” before acting. Some mistakenly try to keep His commandments to earn His love. A love that is “earned” is the antithesis of His grace.

Your love will be tested. Expect Jesus to test your new level of love so that you can see it and so it is fixed in place. (John 21:15-19)

Love will carry you along in your journey to heaven way beyond where obedience will let you fall.

How about you? Are you hungry to love Christ more?

1 comment:

Deanna said...

As I think through the question "Do I love God enough?" I am taken back to pastor's message Sunday in which he pointed out that worship involves sacrifice. Love also involves sacrifice. A giving up of my desires for the desires of the one I love. A forgoing of independent living for intimacy with another. A pursuit of another's interest before and above my own. Isn't this similar to my response in worship? I'm not thinking about my desires, being independent, or my interests. I'm focused on desiring more Christ-like character in my life, a deeper intimacy with my Savior, and a pursuit of His glory. I find then that I can check my love quotient by checking the attitude of my worship. I can also check my worship quotient by checking my sacrificial behaviours in my relationship with Christ. The cry of my heart is well sung by Larnelle Harris, "...when praise demands a sacrifice, I'll worship even then, surrendering the dearest things in life..." Thank you, God, for loving me and giving me the capacity to love you in return!